Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Filipina Motherhood Way



My Filipina Motherhood Way PDF Print E-mail
Written by Evelyn Reyes-Co
Tuesday, 24 June 2008

The hardest obstacle that I encountered into that chalenging journey of motherhood is how to discipline my four rambunctious sons. My husband was usually too busy at work so there's no such thing as ' wait till your father comes home!' in our house. The rigid task was left to me and thanks to the strict and intimidating 'penguins of SJS' I have learned to be a strick disciplinarian.

When my four boys were growing up there will be many times and places especially in public, that they will be acting up, out or engaging in silly fights. I confront them in a very intimidating manner and in a harsh stinging tone bark out the words "Sasampalin Kita!".

You'd be surprise at how dramatic the results can be.

Many years later, at my second son's bachelor party in the Philippines the four brothers were talking and reminiscing about the good ole' days, the subject of the phrase came about.

"What exactly does 'Sasampalin Kita really mean'?.

" Isn't that a swear word?' the MD son asked.

' It means 'Danger' that's what it means!' the JD son remarked.

' It means....Run! for your dear life" the Georgetown Law student said.

" Even to this day whenever I hear those words spoken my eyes starts to water ", the youngest son confessed while drinking his beer.

A Filipino friend quickly told them what the literal translation was. And after years of not knowing the meaning, now they knew.

O yes....yes...even to this day in their adult lives, there are times when we disagree and I will say in a very disheartening and glaring manner the words "Sasampalin Kita!'. They are not afraid of me anymore....

2 comments:

dmb said...

The joys of motherhood, in our own tradition (Philippine culture) is inexplicably very rewarding. Early molding pays off.

connie wolff said...

You and Bun are a picture of success, Evelyn. You have successfully brought up four wonderful boys who have become equally successful in their own fields. And you did this without adding a wrinkle to your beautiful, young-looking face. I must say that inspite of your age, you're still the prettiest in your group picture (no offense meant to the other Co ladies).